If you want your Magento’s code to be changed a bit to get fitted into your organization then below are the guidelines that will help you separate your code from the main code.
- Skill level: Beginning to Advanced developer.
- Target Audience: Developers who need to customize PHP Code.
- Tested with Magento versions:
1. 0.6.14100 (BETA)
2. 0.7.14800 (BETA)
- Applicable for all Magento versions (1.1.x and older).
Subversion (SVN) or CVS tool works as the best way to monitor your changes. The use of branches for the base Magento code will keep your customized files from being deliberately overwritten whenever you give an update to Magento.
Upgrading to a Newer Version
Upgrade your own SVN repository with the latest version! Subversion and CVS keeps track of the new files, updates and deletes. Don’t just download and extract a new version otherwise you will miss the key files deletes and config file deletes.
Most probably you would like to create a module that shows your company to hold all your particular changes.
- Add a “blocks” tag, or edit inside the available blocks tag, as per your XML file
- Add a rewrite tag right after module name. This is “catalog” in this case
- Include the word “breadcrumbs”
- The name of “breadcrumbs” helps Magento discover Block class you wish to extend
Besides, if you are having more levels below the Block directory, add it on that tag, by making use of underscores so that it can get separated from the class file name.
Magento Authority is a leading Magento web development company that offers Magento customization services and solutions to its clients worldwide.